The Recreation, Culture and Community Services Department has created 4 weeks of fun activities throughout the month of June. Below are the Backyard Cook Out recipes.
Make sure you come back every Friday for the month of June for something new. We also have Activities & Crafts on Tuesdays and Gardening Tips on Sundays.
Backyard Cook Out
Friday June 27, 2020
- Graham wafer crackers
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Oreo cookies
- Shortbread cookies
- Thin waffles
- Thin rice krispie squares
- Fudge graham crackers
- Ritz crackers
- Thin brownies
- Vanilla wafers
- Flavoured Marshmallows
- Sliced strawberries
- Sliced bananas
- Pineapple slices
- Toasted Coconut
- Milk, cookies & cream and caramilk chocolate bars
- Chocolate mints – thin, junior & patties
- Peanut butter cups
- Snicker & Mars Bars cut in slices
- Peanut butter
- Lemon curd
- Dulche de leche
- Raspberry jam
- Strawberry jam
- Caramel sauce
- Set up your buffet of ingredients along with hand wipes for sticky fingers and toasting forks.
- Assemble your chosen ingredients – a regular s’more is usually 2 graham wafers, a couple squares of chocolate and a roasted marshmallow layered together, but the fun of a s’moresgasbord is that you can use any combination that appeals to you!
- Marshmallows can be toasted over campfires, BBQ grills, propane fire pits/tables or soy/beeswax candles – just be very careful of flare-ups if the marshmallow drops on the flame and ensure children don’t get to close to the heat source.
Friday June 19, 2020
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chile or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 c. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Tortilla Chips, for serving
- Heat grill to medium-high. Brush cut sides of avocados with oil. Grill 2 to 4 minutes or until grill marks appear.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Scoop avocados from peel. Mash with lime juice, garlic, chipotle, and salt until almost smooth.
- Stir in red onion and cilantro.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 1 hour.
- Serve with tortilla chips
Bacon Potato Salad with Sweet Mustard Dressing
- 3 pounds washed unpeeled red potatoes, diced large
- ½ cup salad dressing or mayonnaise
- ¼ cup plain yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 1 small red pepper, diced small
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 3 tbsp chopped capers or green olives
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
- 8 slices chopped, crisp bacon
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- pinch salt
- Simmer the diced potatoes slowly in boiling salted water just until fork tender. Do not overcook the potatoes or they will fall apart in the salad.
- Drain the potatoes and scatter them on cookie sheet to cool quickly.
- Mix together all of the ingredients except the potatoes.
- Pour the over the cold potatoes and toss well.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
Friday June 5, 2020 – Backyard Kabobs
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- Bamboo (soak in cold water for 30 minutes before using) or metal skewers
- 2 pounds steak, chicken or pork cut into 1 inch pieces
- A variety of your favourite veggies such as:
- Red onion cut in 1″ pieces
- Red, orange, yellow, green bell pepper cut in 1″ pieces
- Zucchini cut in 1″ pieces
- Parboiled baby potatoes
- Whole mushrooms
- Cherry tomatoes
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a bowl, then divide into 2 resealable large freezer bags.
- Add meat to the marinade in one bag, ensure all meat is covered by marinade, squeeze out excess air and marinade for 1 to 3 hours.
- Place all the veggies in the other bag, ensure the pieces are all covered in marinade, squeeze out excess air and marinade for 1 to 3 hours.
- Remove meat from marinade and discard marinade. Remove veggies from marinade, but keep marinade for basting shish kabobs while cooking
- Thread the meat and veggies on the skewers – whatever order you like, but leave a little space between each item to allow even cooking.
- Heat the BBQ to medium high heat or the oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil the grill
- Place the kabobs onto the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until desired doneness.